Criteria influencing the choice of starting insulin regimen in patients with type 2 diabetes in routine clinical practice: baseline data from the Algerian cohort of the A1chieve study
Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, pages S45 - S49
Published online Aug-2013
To examine the criteria that may influence physicians' choice of starting insulin in type 2 diabetes patients in routine practice in Algeria as a sub-analysis of the A1chieve study.
A1chieve was a 24-week international, prospective, non-interventional study conducted to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of biphasic insulin aspart 30 (BIAsp 30), insulin detemir (IDet), or insulin aspart alone or in combination, in real-life clinical settings. We report an analysis of baseline data from insulin-naive patients initiating basal or premix insulin from the Algeria cohort (n = 1494). Demographic and anthropometric data, blood glucose control at inclusion, microvascular complications, and pre-study therapy was compared between the two groups.
A total of 772 insulin-naive patients initiating therapy with IDet or BIAsp 30 were included in this analysis: IDet: 638 (83%), BIAsp 30: 134 (17%). Most IDet-group patients initiated once-daily therapy (n = 636; 99.7%); conversely, most BIAsp 30-group patients started twice-daily therapy (n = 104; 77.6%). Baseline factors influencing regimen choice were microvascular complications (odds ratio [95% CI], yes/no: 0.73 [0.55, 0.98]; p = 0.034) and HbA1c at baseline (%, odds ratio [95% CI] 0.82 [0.72, 0.94]; p = 0.004).
In routine practice, physicians in Algeria are more likely to prescribe basal insulin at initiation of insulin therapy in type 2 diabetes. The prescription of a premix insulin therapy correlated with poor glycaemic control and the incidence of microvascular complications.
Keywords: A1chieve, Insulin detemir, Biphasic insulin aspart 30, Insulin initiation.
- 1 DR Whiting, L Guariguata, C Weil, J Shaw. IDF diabetes atlas: global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2011 and 2030. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011;94:311-321 Crossref.
- 2 UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. Effect of intensive blood-glucose control with metformin on complications in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 34). Lancet. 1998;352:854-865
- 3 SE Inzucchi, RM Bergenstal, JB Buse, M Diamant, E Ferrannini, M Nauck, et al. Management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: a patient-centered approach: position statement of the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD). Diabetes Care. 2012;35:1364-1379 Crossref.
- 4 M Belhadj, R Malek, A Boudiba, E Lezzar, D Roula, F Sekkal, et al. DiabCare Algérie. Médecine des Maladies Métaboliques. 2010;4:88-92 Crossref.
- 5 M Belhadj, D Roula, R Malek, A Lezzar, S Mimouni, S Zinai. IDEALS study. Médecines des Maladies Métaboliques. 2012;6:332-337 Crossref.
- 6 RJ Ligthelm, V Borzì, J Gumprecht, R Kawamori, Y Wenying, P Valensi. Importance of observational studies in clinical practice. Clin Ther. 2007;29:1284-1292 Crossref.
- 7 J Concato. Observational versus experimental studies: what's the evidence for a hierarchy?. NeuroRx. 2004;1:341-347
- 8 P Home, NE Naggar, M Khamseh, G Gonzalez-Galvez, C Shen, P Chakkarwar, et al. An observational non-interventional study of people with diabetes beginning or changed to insulin analogue therapy in non-Western countries: The A1chieve study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011;94:352-363 Abstract, Full-text, PDF, Crossref.
- 9 F Lavernia. What options are available when considering starting insulin: premix or basal?. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2011;13(Suppl 1):S85-S92
- 10 P Home, SN Shah, A Zilov, P Soewondo, P Chakkarwar, LM Chuang. Factors associated with choice of initial insulin regimen in people with type 2 diabetes: baseline findings from the A1chieve study. Diabetes. 2011;60(Suppl 1):A607 (Abstract 2282-PO).
- 11 P Valensi, M Benroubi, V Borzi, J Gumprecht, R Kawamori, J Shaban, et al., IMPROVE Study Group Expert Panel. The IMPROVE study, a multinational, observational study in type 2 diabetes: baseline characteristics from eight national cohorts. Int J Clin Pract. 2008;62:1809-1819 Crossref.
- 12 V Fonseca. Starting insulin therapy with basal insulin analog or premix insulin analog in T2DM: a pooled analysis of treat-to-target trials. Curr Red Med Opin. 2012;26:1621-1628
a Internal Medicine Department, Saâdna University Hospital, Setif, Algeria Internal Medicine Department, Saâdna University Hospital, Setif, Algeria
b Diabetology Endocrinology Department, Nedir University Hospital, Tizi Ouzou, Algeria Diabetology Endocrinology Department, Nedir University Hospital, Tizi Ouzou, Algeria
c Internal Medicine Department, EHU Oran, Algeria Internal Medicine Department, EHU Oran, Algeria
d Medical Department, Novo Nordisk, Algeria Medical Department, Novo Nordisk, Algeria
e Internal Medicine Department, Nedir University Hospital, Tizi Ouzou, Algeria Internal Medicine Department, Nedir University Hospital, Tizi Ouzou, Algeria
Corresponding author at: Internal Medicine Department, Saâdna University Hospital, Setif, Algeria. Tel.: +213661352067
© 2013 Published by Elsevier B.V.